Who we are
Premium Choice act as a data controller. We promise to look after your data. We will not sell your data on and will keep it secure and private. We want to make sure you know how we use your data and allow you to be in control of your marketing preferences.
The personal data we collect
We have received your personal data either directly from yourself or by way of you submitting your data to us, by your use of our website, or a comparison website. We need to collect this data so we can respond to your enquiry, or offer you an insurance quote, under the terms of a contract with you and satisfy our regulators.
The personal data we hold about you, and any other person that you have included on any policy of insurance you have purchased, consists of the following:
- Name, address, date of birth and gender
- Phone numbers and email address
- Policy reference/number
- Relationship status and other lifestyle information
- Credit/debit card and if paying by finance, bank account details
- Vehicle details including registration number
- Driving licence details and claims history
- Sensitive personal data may take the form of:
- Medical history
- Driving and/or criminal convictions
Call recording and monitoring
We may record, monitor and store calls, emails, SMS messages or other communications for:
- Business purposes such as quality control and training
- Prevention of unauthorised use of our telecommunication systems and websites
- Ensuring effective systems operation
- Meeting any legal obligation
- Prevention or detection of crime
- The legitimate business interests of the data controller
The processing of your data (How we use your data)
We will use your personal data, and that of any other person named on your policy, for any one or more of the following purposes:
- for quotation and/or to arrange and/or to administer the insurance policy and/or credit agreement. This may appear on your credit report and will be visible to other credit providers. It will be clear that this is a quotation rather than a credit application by you to pay by monthly instalments;
- to communicate with you for any purpose in relation to the insurance policy (including renewal options and/or your credit agreement) by letter, telephone, email or text message;
- to communicate with your insurance company finance provider for any purpose in relation to the policy by letter, telephone or email;
- to validate the insurance information that you have provided and to verify your identity, in some cases match it against information that is stored by a third party;
- to prevent and detect insurance fraud and fraudulent transactions by checking, sharing and recording any information provided by you with fraud prevention agencies and public bodies including the Police. This may extend to use information that is recorded by fraud prevention agencies in other countries. We will ensure an adequate level of protection is in place to protect your personal information, such as contractual protections which have the purpose of ensuring the security of any information passed;
- to ensure compliance with international financial sanctions requirements. This will include the checking of your information against the HM Treasury list of financial sanctions targets as well as other publicly available sanctions lists;
- to conduct analytics, on a personal or aggregated basis, in respect of product performance, rating and underwriting factors, allowing us to improve our services offered.
If you have a policy with us that requires a telematics box you are required to install the device. Once activated the telematics device will monitor and record the driving behaviours of all drivers on the policy. The device cannot identify who is driving the vehicle. Please inform all named drivers on the policy that the vehicle is fitted with a telematics device which is capable of tracking the vehicle and capturing driving behaviour data during a journey and that their data is necessary for the performance of the contract.
The box captures driving data and sends to our supplier (Thingco) information such as:
Driving behaviour including,
- Eco driving (calculated through acceleration, speed and cornering).
Journey information including,
- Journey duration and length.
- Time of journey.
- Location and overnight parking.
- Accident and impact detection.
In addition to the above the device can also pick up if there is any tampering and battery charge data.
The above data will be processed, analysed and converted into a driving score. Scores are calculated in blocks of 100 miles and can range from 1 – 100 with 100 indicating the best driving behaviour. The scores are presented as a dashboard in your Aura app.
Your data will also be used for the following purposes:
- To assist in identifying the circumstances of a claim, accident, loss or theft.
- To help prevent and detect insurance fraud.
- To verify that the vehicle is being used in line with the terms of the policy.
- To monitor the overnight location of the insured vehicle to ensure it is returning to the risk address.
- To tailor an exact renewal premium based on your driving behaviour scoring.
- To conduct analytics on driving behaviours, product performance, rating and underwriting factors to help improve and develop our services and future products.
The legal bases for the processing
In relation to the purposes above, the legal bases for the processing are:
- The processing is necessary for a contract, namely setting up and administering the policy.
- The processing is necessary for the purposes of legitimate interest.
- The processing of sensitive personal data is necessary for reasons of substantial public interest, ‘if the processing is for an insurance policy’.
- The processing is necessary for compliance with a legal obligation.
Our Legitimate business interests are:
- Validation, customer services and regulatory – to improve customer journey and follow other regulatory guidelines;
- Prevention and detection of fraud- to ensure our business is not used for fraud;
- MI, business reporting and business development- to assist in management information, business improvement and development and using statistical analysis;
- Company finances- to ensure any financial accounts are up to date.
Who we share your data with
We may transfer your personal data for any one or more of the following purposes:
- Legitimate interest – to third parties where this is necessary or desirable for the legitimate business interests of Premium Choice; or as required by law;
For example, Government agencies, regulatory bodies including the police, courts and DVLA. Third parties who provide you with services relating to your product, such as roadside assistance providers.
- Administration – we will transfer your personal data to third parties where this is necessary to administer the Policy and/or provide any of the services that are necessary relating to your insurance; and they may communicate with you in relation to the policy by letter, telephone or email; or other communications in accordance with UK and European law;
- No Claims Bonus – We will disclose No Claims Bonus (NCB) and claims details to your new provider should you lapse/cancel your insurance;
- Authorised persons – with your express consent we can deal with another person on your behalf to help manage your insurance policy subject to answering security questions correctly. This will include the personal and sensitive data we hold.
Keeping data up to date
To help us ensure your data is up to date please tell us if the information we hold for you changes. We will update your information received from you or any other party related to your insurance.
We will occasionally send or contact you with details of motor related products and services. This is what we call marketing. We will rely on consent and ask you if you would like to opt in to receive marketing correspondence when you contact us or take a policy out online. Information will be relevant to you as a customer and non-intrusive. You can opt out/unsubscribe at any time by contacting us.
Under General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR) you have the following rights.
- The right to be informed – You have the right to be informed about the collection and use of your data
- The right of access – You have legal rights under data protection laws in relation to your personal information. We may ask you for proof of identity when you make a request to exercise your rights. We do this to ensure we only disclose information to the right individual.
You may ask us for a copy of your personal information, this is commonly known as a ‘subject access request’.
If you wish to make a subject access request please contact us on any of the following:
Email: [email protected]
Telephone: 0330 127 4500
Write to us at:
Head of Compliance
Premium Choice Insurance
Pendeford Business Park
- The right to rectification – You have the right to request inaccurate data be rectified.
- The right to erasure – You have the right to have your personal details erased. This is not an absolute right as we may have to keep certain data items for legal and regulatory reasons.
- The right to restrict processing – You have the right to restrict or suppress the processing of your personal data. We will still store the data but not process it.
- The right to object – You can object to the processing of your data. We may be able to continue processing if we can show that we have a compelling reason for doing so.
- Withdrawing consent
Some circumstances we ask for your consent to use your Personal Information. You are free to withdraw your consent at any time.
If it is the case that we need your consent to provide you with a particular product and you wish to withdraw your consent, we may no longer be able to provide our product to you. Where that is the case, we will inform you before taking any action.
- Automated decision making – You can object to decisions made by automated means without any human involvement and ask that a person reviews it, however in certain situations it may prevent us from providing you with insurance.
- Complain to the ICO – In certain circumstances and in relation to the use of your personal data, you have the right to complain to the Information Commissioner (ICO) at ico.org.uk
We have a Document Retention Policy which records details of how long various types of information should be held on file. The retention periods vary depending upon the circumstances of an individual matter, however for a period of at least 6 years after the policy ends.
Third party websites
How to contact us
For any further information in relation to the processing of your data, please contact:
Premium Choice Ltd
Pendeford Business Park
Wolverhampton WV9 5AP
Email: [email protected]